Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Chica Bonita, Manly

Remember "back in the day" when you used to go to Manly for fish + chips by the ocean.  And, maybe an ice-cream cone that would end up melting down your arms before you could finish it?? Yeah, I remember those days too...but now there's a new reason to visit Manly. Chica Bonita.


Situated about as FAR as you can get from the beach, Chica Bonita is a tiny hole-in-the-wall serving up tasty Mexican food. You'll find this place nestled in a little arcade off The Corso as you heard towards the ferry terminal.  Not an ocean view in sight, but who cares when the food is THIS good!


I had my heart set on trying their tacos - whose reputation precedes them - but alas it's only burritos on offer during lunchtime. Oh well, we'll just have to come back another time for dinner.


I console my taco-loving-self with a stiff drink as Tara + I peruse the menu. It's a refreshing, yet boozy watermelon margarita ($9.50) for me (or as Chica Bonita calls it "Pink Bits Watermelon"). Tara opts for the cringeworthingly named "Rim Job" ($12.00).  Things got even more embarrassing when the bartender started calling out "who ordered a rim job"?  Dear God, don't order this drink if your here with your mother folks! Never-the-less it's a tasty drink - orange, port with cinnamon + honey on the rim of the glass.


We kick things off with the MASSIVE Veggie Fries ($13.00) - oh boy, were these GOOD! A layer of fries that are seasoned with smokey paprika + lime salt are topped with mounds of melted cheese, black beans, guacamole and salsa. I think it was the spicy, salty fries that really made this dish for me - so moreish.


After our mammoth Veggie Fries we're both glad we decided to share a burrito as these babies are BIG! There are two veggie burritos on offer here, but we shun the regular veggie one for the cool sounding California Hippie Burrito ($13.00) which has all the fixings of the regular veggie burrito (black beans, guacamole, cheese) with the addition of fries. I am wondering why is this called a "hippie" burrito? Maybe as hippies eat fries when they're stoned (I  thought it was Dorritos, but hey, what do I know)? This was a good, filling burrito but I needed a bit of heat in the mix so splashed some hot sauce around quite liberally.


I HAVE no idea what this dessert is called and it's not on the lunchtime menu BUT I spotted it being sent out from the kitchen to a table outside, so I quickly ordered one whilst the chefs were feeling in a dessert kinda mood. Holy smokes Batman, AMAZING! Thick, sweet dulce de leche is snuggled wrapped by a sweet, doughy pasty that is dusted with cinnamon sugar. Totally decadent, and totally delicious.


Chica Bonita is at Shop 9, The Corso, Manly (down the end of a little arcade).  Phone them on 9976 5255.

Chica Bonita on Urbanspoon

14 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been considering booking a weekend in Manly, and good Mexican just tipped me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good here but go at dinner so you can try the tacos. I've heard good things about Hemmingway's in Manly too (so if you go to the seaside for a weekend you'll have lunch AND dinner sorted)!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Brilliant - thanks! Now just have to convince my boy that it is an appropriate use of money. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh! Want all of it, and that dessert is made for me.
    PS Was at Azuma last night and didn't know what to order and was on my phone searching for a review on here. I thought, if anyone's got a recommendation it's Miss Piggy.
    But my phone took so long to load and I was starting to look like I had no table manners staring at the screen like that for so long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...have I been to Azuma? I cannot even remember anymore...too many meals in this big city of ours!

      Delete
    2. Haha no I don't think so.
      We did well winging it though

      Delete
  3. I want a rim job too! :) Seriously, both drinks sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm a dulce de leche spring roll! lol. It's such a cute little spot isn't it? Love that it's so hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good Mel, love the bare brick wall. The veggie fries look delicious, so does the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man I have been meaning to make the visit but it is just so farrrrrrrrrrrrr for me. Chips in a burrito? yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker with anything dulce de leche and those fries sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg who can say no to dulce de leche?! The chips look all sorts of amazing - it's almost healthy if not for the deep fried potato ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just ate a really dodgy burrito, late night shopping at Warringah Mall. I wish I travelled just that extra bit and tried this place, It looks really really good! I mean, your photo of those fries are worth the drive alone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily