Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chat Thai, (Westfield) Sydney

I recently got a new phone so thought I'd channel my inner "Gen Y" and use it take photos of my dinner at Chat Thai instead of going with my usual Gen X weapon of choice, an actual camera. The photos didn't work very well....but dinner was sensational so I just had to share.


Chat Thai seems to have a bit of a cult status amongst hardcore Thai food lovers though this is the first time I've ever been. Chat Thai in Haymarket has the reputation as "the best Chat Thai" (probably as it's been around for the longest) but as I was dining with Miss M who works at the big end of town we choose to dine at their Westfield branch as it's a shorter walk in her power-heels and just a short ride up what has to be the longest escalator in Sydney.


Chat Thai's style of cooking focuses on traditional Thai street food, which we all know is the best kind of food.  Street food is often the most delicious and the most authentic experience you'll have of a culture whilst traveling. It's what the locals eat and it allows us, as visitors, a brief insight in to their food and way of eating.


We start of with some pretty metal cups filled with water. At first I didn't realise these were water cups.  What did I think was in the cup then? Umm, no idea so it seemed a fair call to order a cool, tall glass of coconut juice that came topped with slithers of fat, chewy coconut flesh. I love these drinks that are sort of a drink and dessert rolled all in to one.


First cab of the rank for entrees is the todt mun goong gaeng keaw. Translation for those of us who cannot speak Thai is fried green curried prawn mousseline, drizzled with pickled plum sauce ($16.00).


Next up is a serve of fresh spring rolls ($12.00) - no translation needed. I really REALLY liked these. The skin was almost like a popiah wrap (in layman's terms popiah is kind of like a fresh Malaysian spring roll) that is common in Malaysian cuisine . The roll is filled with all sorts of fresh and flavoursome goodies such as smoked fish sausages, chicken and crab. The roll is then drizzled with a caramelised tamarind relish that is tart and sticky.


The mhu grob padt prik khing ($15.00) was suggested to me by a few people on twitter - so thanks Adam + Swah as this is one of the best things I've eaten in a long time.  Pieces of stir fried crisp pork belly come served in a wild ginger red curry paste .  This was such a flavoursome dish....quite sweet rather than spicy which I was expecting from the red curry paste.  And, finding tasty little morsels of crispy crackling was....well, it was delicious!


Another twitter recommendation was the gai yaang ($14.00) - char grilled turmeric and lemongrass marinated chicken with smoked chilli and tamarind relish. I liked that this dish seemed simple on the surface but the chicken was moist with a lovely fresh flavour from the tamarind.


Chat Thai is on Level 5, 188 Pitt Street - Westfield Sydney.

Chat Thai Westfield Sydney on Urbanspoon

19 comments:

  1. I'm loving this "gen Y" post and am very grateful the pseudo-American grammar and garb wasn't included, not that you would have;). For a place that's less than a minutes walk from my work, I've been to this Chat Thai outlet just once. I loved it, as I do the outlets in Galeries Victoria and Campbell Street. Great line-up of dishes you had! Thanks for reminding me what I have on my doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hai John! You're very lucky to have this is a lunch place - in fact all of Westfield has some good noms.

      Delete
  2. Love the wide range of desserts there! Feel like I want to pick everything from the menu! ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted by the desserts - but resisted seeing as I'd had TWO coconut drinks.

      Delete
  3. I love the Westfield complex in Sydney city..will have to try Chat Thai next time I visit, the dishes you had look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great places to eat in Westfield...also try Ippudo when you're next up.

      Delete
  4. You should've splurged on all the awesome coconut desserts they have here! Love love love them all :D the stir fried crisp pork belly was a hit with my friends and I when we went last time

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my favourite entree there - that prawn mousse thingy. Always seem to have that even though there's such a huge menu!
    (I sometimes feel queasy on that escalator and always fear falling backwards...!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The escalator is a bit freaky I agree - but it's the easiest way up to food nirvana!

      Delete
  6. I think Chat Thai are pretty consistent with their food. They know how to serve good food, plate good food, and deliver on taste with good food. Would never think twice about going to Chat Thai, any of the locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear that all their locations are good - I was worried I was jipping myself by not going to Haymarket.

      Delete
  7. Hehe you know I never really thought to associate a generation with a camera type but you might be right there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yumm! I visited the Haymarket Chat Thai a few years back and was absolutely loving the pad thai and lamb curry I think it was. Hopefully will get back for that pork belly sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pork belly is worth a trip to Sydney...I promise.

      Delete
  9. I am so out of the loop with restaurants in Sydney at the moment but I have been to Chat Thai (the one at the other end of town) and I loved it! My friend from Thailand took me there and even though I burnt my mouth, throat, oesophagus etc etc I did not want to stop eating. Will go down to the Westfield one because I darn well love that shopping centre!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily