Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Naruone, Chinatown (Sydney)

For those of who grew up under the impression that Colonel Sanders was the KFC king pin the discovery of Korean Fried Chicken - the "other fried chicken" - is an eye-opening, life changing, mind altering, brilliant revelation.



Until I started this blog the only KFC I knew about came in a red and white striped bucket. It was "OK". As a kid I LOVED it, but as the years progressed it kinda wasn't so great anymore. It tasted more oily and less crunchy and I always felt really gross after eating it.  Bye bye KFC.  Then I heard talk from other bloggers about Korean Fried Chicken, that is addictive as crack (cocaine or pie - take your pick).


I'm told there are a few places that do REALLY GOOD Koren fried chook and Naruone, at the top end of Thai-na-town, seems to be the sweetheart of the moment.  Always up for a new (eating) experience I gathered with a group of fellow bloggers to stuff my face full of proper KFC. 


There are a few different types of KFC on offer and we start with a HUGE plate of Fried Chicken with Spring Onion ($32.00) as I've read it's "the best" here. Oh. My. God!  This chicken was INCREDIBLE! Moist + tender meat is surrounded by a super crispy batter that shatters audibly when you bite into it. The batter is so crispy that you can literally hear the crunch both inside and outside your head. I have no idea how they cook this, but we "think" the chicken may be poached in a broth that contains shallots (to keep the meat moist whilst frying) and then coated in a batter that has dried-shallots in it and double-fried. Whatever - who cares as it's AMAZING! Go to Naruone and EAT THIS NOW.


Because our new motto is "one plate of fried chicken is never enough" we order a combination plate ($33.00) that has a mix of original and sweet + spicy. The original is similar to the fried chicken with spring onions but it doesn't pack as much of a flavour (or crunch) punch.  The sweet + spicy is super sticky, really messy to eat, pretty sweet in flavour with a punch of spicy that hits you at the end of each mouthful. Others at the table loved this but I found the sweetness a bit too much for my liking.


Also on our table were a few little bowls of side-dishes collectively known as banchan. The most common of these is Kimchi (fermented cabbage with chilli) which is practically the Korean national dish - it was EVERYWHERE when I visited Korea but I never took a liking too it for some reason - but I always give it a try when it's on the table just in case I fall in love with it.


I did however really like the Kimchi Omelette. The kimchi flavour was quite mild, the element of the kimchi that stood out to me was the chili. We also ordered a Beef Hotpot, mainly as it contained a few token vegetables to offset all the chicken and all the deep-friedness.


I am completed besotted with Korean Fried Chicken. Colonel Sanders is totally dead to me now. I cannot wait to come back to Naruone one and indulge in more KFC with Spring Onions. Who wants to come with me?


Naruone is on the Lower Ground, 375 Pitt Street, Sydney. Phone them on 9261 2680.

NaruOne Korean Restaurant on Urbanspoon

20 comments:

  1. This KFC is gold & I'm addicted to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could be a burgeoning addiction for me too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! You've convinced me to go and eat some of this chicken XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO good! Really well worth a visit.

      Delete
  3. I do!! :P You finally managed to come here and eat the fried chicken! I seriously felt like I was in heaven. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in heaven...cannot beleive how crisp yet moist this chicken was. Amazing.

      Delete
  4. amazing post! would you be interested for some more KFC soon? would love to meet you! check out our sydney fried chicken association page on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I've signed up to the page...bring it on.

      Delete
  5. i have heard so many good things about this place! can't wait to try it when we are back... gotta love Korean Fried Chicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go...I've heard this is the best one in Sydney at the moment.

      Delete
  6. FRIED CHICKEN. SO GOOD! I pushed aside the spring onions and attacked the chicken. By far, the best korean fried chicken I've had to date!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to eat your greens though Tina!

      Delete
  7. Freakin love their KFC! Seriously the best I've ever had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I should try the other places...or just stick to Naruone? Should I risk it?

      Delete
  8. Love your description "hear the crunch both inside and outside your head"! The fried chicken sounds delicious, another must-try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I mean right...the crunch is so loud that it drowns out all the other noise and it's just you and the KFC.

      Delete
  9. SO JEALOUS! I can't believe they ran out of FRIED CHICKEN! THEIR SIGNATURE DISH last time I went. Guess I will need to return for attempt 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Just shows how popular it is. It's worth a revisit I promise.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily