Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eden Gardens, North Ryde

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Eden Gardens is a HUGE garden centre located on the edge of the lush Lane Cove National Park in North Ryde.  For someone who loves eating, gardening and shopping for gardening "stuff" Eden Gardens in is the perfect place to while away a few hours on a lazy summer afternoon.


Before we get down to the business of gardening "stuff" The Boy and I make a pitstop at  Dragonfly Cafe...a large cafe inside Eden Gardens that has a lovely view over the gardens.


It's a super HOT day and I can't face anything other than a salad - and their "Spring Salad" ($24.00) is just the business. My salad is a refreshing mix of watermelon, feta, mint and baby spinach that is topped with poached prawns and drizzled with balsamic. At $24 it's not cheap but it sure is tasty - I've made this at home (sans prawns) a few times since as I just loved it so much.


The Boy is tougher than me in hot weather and goes for the hearty sounding Char Grilled Chicken Sandwich ($22.00). Again I don't think this meal is cheap (this isn't really the place to come for a "cheap" cafe feed) but he's pretty happy with what he's got. There are a few cheaper options on the menu but most things are upwards of $20.


After lunch we go for a wander through the gardens - a series of large landscaped spaces that offer a nice relaxing respite from our hectic city lives. You can even pre-order a picnic basket from the cafe to eat in the gardens which I think is a lovely idea...and the garden is also home to a few chickens.


The Boy heads back to the office (I'm was on holidays so could do whatever I wanted - what a glorious feeling!) so I spend a little while checking out the seedlings on offer.  I normally grow things from seed (as it's a more cost effective way of growing your own produce) but I was VERY tempted to go home with a chilli plant as well as this amazing smelling Chocolate Mint that smelt just like an afterdinner mint when you rubbed it between your fingers. I think it would make a really nice iced tea.


Eden Gardens also has a good range of seeds on offer.  I'm thinking of growing some capsicum soon and was quite taken with their multi-coloured capsicum seeds - they'd made such a colourful looking salad. There are also lots of garden furniture type stuff for sale as well as pillows, rugs, outdoor picnic ware, nic-nacs and the like...but if you can't eat it it's not going on my balcony.


Eden Gardens and Dragonfly Cafe can be found at Corner Lane Cove and Fontenoy Roads, North Ryde. Phone them on 9491 9900.

Dragonfly Cafe on Urbanspoon

18 comments:

  1. Wow chocolate mint! That's actually really cool. I love Arnott's mint slices mm... It would definitely make an awesome tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smelt amazing! I wish that I'd bought it as I didn't see it on my last visit.

      Delete
  2. I had lunch at this place years ago - such a pretty spot. Not sure I'd be comfortable paying that much for a salad though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty, but it was a bit pricy. It's nice for a special lunch out.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great place for kitchen garden food people! The chocolate mint sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd bought it - kicking myself now as I didn't see it last visit.

      Delete
  4. i love how you said "if you can't eat it it's not going on my balcony" haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I'm dying to turf the BBQ that The Boy hasn't used in oh, about two years.

      Delete
  5. I love this place, but I agree that their cafe is quite the rip!

    Last time we bought plants there, we were given a one year warranty. If they die within the next year we can take them back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rip indeed. I like the idea of the warranty - they must get loads of returns, gardening is so unpredictable.

      Delete
  6. I work near here and while it's a nice spot, I think their food is very ordinary - especially for the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go more often if it was cheaper -- but it's certainly not somewhere I'd pop to for a workday lunch.

      Delete
  7. This is a fun place, isn't it! I love wandering the gardens, and browsing the gifts, the homewares, the books, all the things for the gardening... all the while dreaming of the garden I'd love to have... one day! Pricing at the cafe is a bit steep, so if anything, I might have a dessert or piece of cake with coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens are aamzing! I had no idea they were even there...

      Delete
  8. I've been here for a couple of family get togethers - very pretty with the gardens there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice for a family thing - I agree.

      Delete
  9. Will we see balcony chooks soon? Okay, I am being serious here, but imagine, some sort of vertical chook house to go with vertical gardens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...no chooks. I really think they need to be able forage + scratch around in the grass + dirt.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily