Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Felix Restaurant, CBD

Felix has long been on my wishlist, but you know how it is. New places open so you go and check them out. Then you need to make sure you go back to your old favourites so they are still there next month when you want to go out again. Of course you have to check out local cafes and support stuff in your own 'hood. And, you also need to make sure you have some meals at home so that you don't break the bank or your waistline.  This blogging is tough work I tell you!


I finally make it Felix after having it on my wishlist for about 2 years. Miss M and I decide it's the perfect city location to catch up and it brings back memories of our New York trip last year as it reminds us of Balthazar- just a tad more "polished".  The restaurant is large, elegant and tres chic in that French Bistro kind of way.  It feels posh, but not intimidating as there are all types of people dining here - older couples (who whip out their iPhone torches to help read the menu), fashionistas (or the Merivale crew as I call them), suits having a nice dinner after work, blokes wandering in in t-shirts and...me!


Somewhere along the two year journey to my dinner at Felix my thoughts about eating meat had changed. Which was kind of a pain as I had ALWAYS really really REALLY wanted to try the Steak Tartare here (having heard such good things about it).  I don't think I'll ever be flexible about eating pork, eggs or poultry when I'm dubious about it's provenance, but I'm allowing myself to be a bit flexible when it comes to beef and lamb as it is more likely to have lead a mostly pasture raised life - so enter the Steak Tartare ($22).

When the waitress set down a tray of Worcestershire Sauce and mustard's on our table I knew one of my "food nightmares" was about to come true = DIY Steak Tartare. ARGH! I've got no idea how to mix a steak tartare to ensure it tastes as good as it should...so I batted my eyelids at the waiter and he did it for us! And it was WONDERFUL! The steak was so tender it was like eating butter and the salty crackers matched it perfectly. The mix of condiments + spices give it an almost marinated and zesty flavour.


Now that we've my lamb/beef pact sorted out Miss M and I decided to order the share plate of Lamb Shoulder cooked with oregano, lemon, garlic which came served on a bed of mixed grains with a tasty spiced yoghurt ($68 for two people). The Middle Eastern flavours were unexpected (this being a French restaurant and all), but it was such a flavoursome dish that we polished off the whole lot. We also ordered a side salad of spinach, rocket, Spanish onion, feta and croutons ($8.00).


We may have shared our entree and main but there was no way we were sharing a dessert! The Peanut Parfait ($16.00) had my name all over it! Served with a dark chocolate mousse and salted macadamia caramel it was the perfect end to the dinner!  Miss M couldn't resist the hot chocolate and orange fondant with tonka bean ice cream ($18.00) that was calling to her.


So was it worth the wait? To quote Mr Big "abso-bloody-lutely"!

Felix is at 2 Ash Street, Sydney.

Felix Bistro and Bar on Urbanspoon


15 comments:

  1. Haha, Mr Big so right! Felix is one of my favourite places in Sydney, I just wish there were more like it. The lamb shoulder looks wonderful, must try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that steak tartare looks fan friggen tastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I've not tried their grilled meats selection - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Felix transports you to France in a very unpretentious way. Good menu choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Felix!!!! the lamb shoulder looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Felix. It is one of my favorite places! I once had the best plate of oysters in my life there. The tartar looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh the peanut butter parfait sounds absolutely awesome! I'm a sucker for peanut butter, chocolate and macadamias so it sounds like my kind of dessert :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I have never eaten steak tartare before, something else for me to try! The lamb shoulder looks delicious too. I love the birdcages in the alley too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been to Felix but I have heard lots of good reports. I'm not very fond of steak tartare but I know a lot of people love it. I would love both of those desserts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've wanted to try Felix's steak tartare for ages too, but it's always been packed everytime I want to walk in and dine. Note to self: make a booking there ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Felix! I've been wanting to go there for almost 2 years & still haven't had the chance to check it out. Is The Reuben still on the menu? That's one of the reasons why I've got to visit. I'm on a mission to try every reuben sandwich in sydney. This one continues to elude me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I feel your pain, this blogging gig is very tough work. BTW, I still have not made it to Felix.... sigh :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Felix is still on the wish list. That was nice th waitress/ Fashionista mixed the tartare for you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same here, I've had Felix in my list for a long time. When I get there I'll be having steak tartare for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Felix has been on my to do list for a while now. Food looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily