Sunday, June 24, 2012

Paella Cooking Class at Extra Virgin Fine Foods, Crows Nest

Miss Piggy attended the Paella cooking class as a guest of Extra Virgin Find Foods.

It seems that the Chefs of Sydney are taking pity on me and my self-confessed lack of cooking skills. The invitation to attend a Paella cooking class at Extra Virgin Fine Foods in Crows Nest comes as my third such invitation in as many months. Pretty soon I'll be able to put away the 2 minute noodles and cook some "real food" (seriously though, I can cook a little bit, I just get a bit flummoxed when things have too many ingredients or steps in the recipe).

Owner Mauricio Moreno (picture thanks to Helen Lear PR).
Owner Mauricio Moreno is a Uruguayan native who grew up in Western Sydney and his passion for Spanish food comes across loud and clear as he happily chats to us.  In addition to the restaurant in Crows Nest he also has a little bit of a deli happening in store (as well as an online store) which stocks various spices, pastes and small goods.  I'm particular taken with the Sangria mix - DIY Sangria in less than 20 seconds. Ole!

It's only after we're ushered into the kitchen to meet Head Chef, Vincent that I realise this is a hands-on cooking class - unlike the many demonstration classes I've been to this year!  I'm expected to cook my own lunch AND photograph it as well. This is too much for me to cope with and I quickly defer all cooking to my cooking-buddy VegeTARAian to I can take happy snaps.  Somehow though we end up having Chef Vincent do most of cooking for us. Nice work team.


 So without further adieu, let me take you on a photographical journey of Chef Vincent's cooking!

We begin by cooking the seafood in a hot hot hot Paella pan - each seafood has its separate turn in the pan.
In go the muscles (make sure they all open so you don't die) and then a Soffrito (which you can buy on line) is added to the pan (once all the seafood is removed).
In goes the special rice and Tara stirs whilst I take blurry photos.

Stock is added to the pan - Vegetarian for us on this occasion, but the others have a veal/vege stock to work with. Their Paella also has a generous portion of Chorizo.
A pinch (or two) of Spanish Paprika is added and the pan goes in and out of the oven a few times with more stock being added each time.

Set the stove on fire (surprisingly this wasn't my fault - I was on the other side of the kitchen) and char some lemon on the grill (THIS is a great tip - it makes the lemon extra juicy and it's perfect squeezed over the finished Paella).
The Paella is dressed with all the delicious seafood and we sit down to eat - really really delicious! The pre-prepared Soffrito certainly makes cooking Paella a much quicker and easier proposition.
Enjoy a few extra tasty morsels that we learnt how to cook during the class.
Once again I've been invited into somebodies professional kitchen and once again I'm overwhelmed by how willingly chefs and restaurant owners open their kitchens to show us the ropes.  It's an absolute privilege to be given this opportuntiy - for these people to give up their free time and let me get under their feet, nose about and ask all sorts of questions.

Extra Virgin Fine Foods is at 17 Alexander Street, Crows Nest. Phone them on 9436 0733. Visit their website for information class times and products available at their online store.

Extra Virgin fine foods - Tapas on Urbanspoon

18 comments:

  1. How delicious Mel...this all looks SO good. Love your photos, they capture the action perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments on my photos...was having a shocker with the camera that day.

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful when they give so much of themselves to the classes. The paella looks deliciously good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it's certainly something for chefs to give up their free time when they already work such long hours.

      Delete
  3. Awesome Mel!!! you'll be a cooking queen soon with all these recipes under your belt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might even open my own little restaurant...or not.

      Delete
  4. How fun! The paella looks awesome! Have you tried this at home yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet...though I have made Paella before.

      Delete
  5. What a great class :) I love paella. The extra's look fab too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the grilled lemon...was a great little trick.

      Delete
  6. Oh, yum! These pictures make me hungry! We went to Uruguay late last year and I think that people from Uruguay are the nicest EVER. What a lovely chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the chef (Vincent) was French (a very lovely & sharing guy) and the owner from Uruguay.

      Delete
  7. mm that paella looks amazing! and somewhat easy to make.. hehe just need to get myself a paella pan :) never knew they went in the oven, always thought they were cooked over the stove throughout the whole process

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous, if I'd gotten the invite I'd have taken Stephen with me, because he keeps insisting on trying paella recipes out and they're always awful, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys should go and do a class together...it'd be a lot of fun.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily