Monday, April 16, 2012

The Carrington, Surry Hills

When The Boy and I visited Melbourne last year we fell in love with the quirky Pintox joint, Naked for Satan where tasty little morsels are served on bread and skewered into place with a toothpick in the fashion of eateries in Northern Spain.  Fun and yum!


When The Carrington in Surry Hills opened up its own Pintox and Tapas joint last year I began to hatch a plan to get The Boy to take me there.  To be honest, our "pre-football" ritual of burgers before each game was getting a tad...stale. I LOVE burgers, but a girl can only eat so many bugers in one year.  We needed to mix things up a bit (well I did anyway) and what better to spice things up then some tasty Pintoxs!


We're dining earlier than the folks in the nursing home would, but we have a footy game to get to. The benefit of dining at 5pm (yes, 5pm!) is that all the Surry Hills hipsters are still finishing up their brunches we get a seat no worries.  The dining room at The Carrington is at the back of the pub and it's decked out in dark, moody tones with a decidedly Spanish vibe.


We kick of our dinner with some Pintox - a Meatball Slider for The Boy and a Calamari Slider for each of us ($6.00 each).  A slider is just a mini-burger really, so I haven't escape the pre-footy burger tradition after all. But, I don't mind as the Calamari Slider is great - crispy calamari, mayo and rocket all on a soft brioche-style bun.   I'm test driving my new "second-hand" camera tonight so please forgive my wonky photos.


The Kingfish Pastrami On Rye ($4.00 each piece) is my FAVOURITE morsel of the evening. We actually came back to The Carrington after the football so I could have another slice (or two) of this, but alas the kitchen had already closed. So sad.  The Kingfish Pastrami has a peppery crust just like regular pastrami, but unlike pastrami (where the meat is much more dry) the Kingfish is deliciously moist and plump.  It sits atop of bed of creamy coleslaw which coats the inside of my mouth like butter. The slice gherkins are a great balance to fish and creamy 'slaw.


We move onto some Tapas - that's Spanish for "little dishes of food without toothpicks".  We both LOVE the Salt Roasted King Prawns ($7.50 each).  The prawns are monsters - HUGE and are deliciously charred.


Our bowl of Patatas Bravas Fries ($8.00) are pipping hot, salty and deliciously crispy.  They are accompained by a bowl of spicy Tomato Sauce which is quite addictive.  I get a greasy look from The Boy when I snaffle the last two fries in the bowl for myself. You snooze you loose.


Ever since reading about Salt Cod Fritters ($14.00) on HeNeedsFood I've really want to try them.  Of course I wasn't going to make them myself like John did for his blog - I needed someone to make them for me thank you very much.  We bite through the crunchy outer layer to reveal soft fluffy innards of mashed potato, some random vegies and lovely cod.  The flavour of my salted cod fritter is much milder than I was expecting and not salty at all - I was expecting a really strong "fishy" taste, so this was a nice surprise.

Chef Jamie Thomas kindly sends out a plate of Jalapeno and Smoked Cheddar Croquettes ($14.00) for us to try and they are devine. Deep-fried cheesy goodness is just not the domain of the Royal Easter Show you know.


I'm desperate to go back from some more of that lovely Kingfish Pastrami. Be seeing you soon Carrington!

The Carrington is at 565 Bourke Street, Surry Hills.  Phone them on 02 9360 4714 (they take bookings *happy dance*)!

The Carrington Specialite: Beba y Cene on Urbanspoon

32 comments:

  1. Mmmm salt cod fritters. It looks like the pinxos thing is being embraced by Sydney restaurants. The only place I had them was in San Sebastian where the pintxos bars are on just about every street corner in the old town. I remember I wished they'd come to Sydney and finally, a decade later, they have. Even though the Carrington seems to think a slider is an acceptable pintxos.
    Thanks for the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon the slider is the ultimate pintoxs, no?

      Delete
  2. How good are the pinxtos at the Carrington! I had the calamari slider and croquettes when I was there last, but you've definitely convinced me to order the kingfish pastrami next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going back tomorrow for MORE kingfish pastrami...can't wait.

      Delete
  3. Loved the quip about the hipsters at 5pm. hi 5. I'm also a big fan of this place. the food is casual, hip and without pretension.

    btw photos are still looking great despite your lack of experience with the new camera.

    all of a sudden I feel like revisiting the carrington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never be a hipster, I don't have the body for the groovy clothes & I like to go to bed WAY to early. Thanks for the comment on the photos...struggling with the new camera.

      Delete
  4. You snooze you lose! Haha! I say that to my brothers all the time while I nab the last morsel of food - that, and 'sucked in!'. So mature I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true though, stay alert if you want the food peoples.

      Delete
  5. Dear Miss Piggy,

    We walked across to this place after we had dinner at Il Baretto recently and it was chockers. Read quite a few blog posts about this place and these small little portions seem like a treat for a variety of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth getting in early and beating the crowds.

      Delete
  6. This looks great, especially loving the fries and sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrington rocks. Great place to meet up for dinner and drinks.

    Really like your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment on the photos - think the camera is a bit scared of the dark. LOL.

      Delete
  8. Hah, can't get away from footy burgers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I thought that as soon as we order sliders.

      Delete
  9. I'm impressed by the variety of food on their menu. Looks like an awesome place to chill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They menu is quite huge...and great! You should check it out.

      Delete
  10. Jalapeno and smoked cheddar croquettes?? Those sound INSANELY good. We're going to have to try this place... looks like something that my other half would go crazy for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, you know you want to. Really lovely food.

      Delete
  11. It all looks so good, going to have to pay them a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it's worth the trek from the 'burbs...and you can book a table which is amazing these days.

      Delete
  12. Mmm.. deep fried goodness. I was contemplating having a birthday party over at Carrington's this year. It looks like a great place! Ah well, next time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be GREAT fun for a birthday party - such a groovy space.

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, those jalapeño and cheddar croquettes sound amazing! Will defn have to try the carrington - bonus it such a short stroll from work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was closer to my work too - working in Surry Hills would be totally amazing in terms of lunch options.

      Delete
  14. Love tapas, Spain, chorizo, gambas - anything Spanish really, well apart from my old flatmate. He was ok, but I didn't love him... I digress. Looks like a great spot. PS sorry to mention but you might want to correct your Pintox to Pintxos "TX" in Spanish is what gives you the "CH" sound. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the spellcheck...shall do that now!

      Delete
  15. I really really love this place - the food, the vibe, everything!! it all tastes so good especially the calamari sliders and the cider chorizo. thanks for reminding me I must visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's fun there isn't it! And now I want to go back for the kingfish (I don't think they had that when we went) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie has been perfecting the Kingfish he's told me - this is the best version yet.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily