Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Fern, Redfern

The Boy and I rustled up another meal deal voucher and headed down to The Fern (in RedFERN) for a lazy Friday night dinner.


You'd expect a cafe that's in the heart of Redfern to be noisy, bustling, and buzzing with the sound of traffic from busy Cleveland Street which is just 20 meters down the road. But The Fern is anything but...I honestly cannot think of a more relaxing evening than our dinner at The Fern. We sat out on the huge front terrace as the sun set over Sydney, enjoyed a cocktail, some great food and let the stresses of the week just drop from our shoulders.

Delicious Ferna Rossa - Aperol, burnt orange and vanilla syrup, grapefruit bitters and lemon juice.
The Fern has a pretty good reputation for doing a killer weekend brunch, but I'm really impressed with their dinner menu - a mix of Latin American inspired tapas dishes and a few mains that can easily be shared. The food has a decidedly rustic, homey feel to it, with so many of the elements being made in-house...it felt a bit like going to someones house out in the bush and being fed home-made pickles, cheeses and sauces. We felt miles away from the inner city.  LOVE!!!!

Dinner kicks off with some Pickles and Olives (normally $5) and a serve of Olive Bread (normally $5). The vegetables are all pickled in house and right up my alley - deliciously vinegary with the veggies still having a nice crunch to them.


I LOVED the Cuban Corn ($5.00) that came topped with a house-made White Cheese (is there anything these guys can't make) and a jalapeno and garlic butter (I betcha that's house-made too). I've gone a bit of a Mexican corn-making bender at home, but what I churn out cannot compare with this.


Next is some lovely House-cured Sardines on Toast ($11.00) that came with a (house-made of course) horseradish cream and capers.  When I think of sardines I think of those horrible stinky canned-fish that my Dad used to eat, and that I used to gag over. Needless to say I was thrilled when these fresh sardines came out, light in flavour and not oily at all.  The (house-made) Falafel ($8.00) served in a little wedge of pita is simple yet tasty.


Whilst The Boy chowed down on a Wagyu Oxtail Empanadas ($8.00) I enjoyed a unexpectedly spicy, yet surprisingly refreshing, Watermelon and Tomato Gazpacho ($6.00).  I've not had much experience with "cold soup" so I was happy that this was so delicious.


After all these scrumptious starters we arrive at the main event - Homemade Gnocchi with Mushroom Sauce ($19.00) Peas and Parmesan cheese. This was SOOOO good - we literally licked the plate clean - stellar dish!  I'd love to be able to make something like this at home...even just knocking out a sauce this delicious would make me a happy camper.  Attempting home-made pasta would probably send me to the nut house - but I reckon I could handle a sauce...but HOW to make it? Help please!


What amazing meal is complete without an amazing dessert. After my first foray into the world of Churros ($13.00) a few weeks ago I was delight to see this plate placed in front of me (not in front of The Boy which means I shouldn't have had to share, right)? The Churros were pipping hot, crispy and delicious and sat atop a lusciously sweet, foamy dulce de leche (like a sweet milk sauce) and dusted with crushed pistachios. YUM!


The Fern is at 4 Pitt Street, Redfern.  Phone them on 8399 007.

The Fern on Urbanspoon

26 comments:

  1. You're right... it does look like someone's house!

    Looks like another place to add to my ever growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that great when you can feel like you're away from the inner city but not have to travel very far? Sounds like a great find! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the presentation of their dishes! so pretty and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your photography.. that corn photo is magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn, falafel, and a promise of great brunch - I'm sold! On the list. Thank your voucher obsession for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna get my hands (& my mouth) on the homemade gnocchi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great little venue! I love the outdoors section - too cute and perfecto for a little vino ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this place soooo many times but never thought of going there. Sounds pretty good though, I might check out their weekend brunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard really really good things about brunch...do it!

      Delete
  9. Impressed by the feed, should've bought that deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm. Still wanting to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should check out Cucina Italiana cooking classes if you want to learn how to make gnocchi. The classes are amazing and home-made fresh pasta is one of the most satisfying things you can eat.

    http://www.cucinaitaliana.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanna know how to make that awesome mushroom sauce, man it was SO good! The classes look good though - just checked out the website.

      Delete
  12. Looks absolutely fantastic. I really want to try those divine looking falafel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosh this looks incredible, would love to eat here....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish it was in our 'hood, it would such a lovely place to have close by.

      Delete
  14. I knight you the voucher queen. Loving reading how you go with them, as I have had a couple of fizzers, so you keep my faith :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queen is a nice way of putting this obsession. So far so good with the vouchers....I always buy from places I've heard off, when I didn't I had two slighty iffy exepriences.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing! This looks like a nice place to just sit, eat and think! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's strange for me to see Latin American food in such delicate servings. Dishes look great, though. Just realised I haven't had churros in more than 3 years...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great place to have brunch and dinner :) But they don't really open Monday to Wednesday hehe gotta make sure i go on the weekend then when I got to Sydney next ~ I love how they've kinda put a twist on the churros and it's not served with the good old melted chocolate hehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos, the food looks amazing! Can't wait to go check it out

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily