Monday, December 19, 2011

Bloodwood, Newtown

Niecy Poo and I first attempted to go to Bloodwood in Newtown for her birthday about 18 months ago. As they don't take bookings we put our name down at the door and went and had a drink. By the time they called us two hours later our stomachs had gotten the better of us and we've found sustenance else where.


This time around Niecy Poo, Mr Scotland and I agree to meet up for a Saturday lunch. I arrive bang on the dot of noon - before Bloodwood is even properly open. There is no way I'm missing out this time, no way! Mr Scotland suggests perhaps we go for a wander and let them open up properly. Ah, no way mister. I'm convinced the moment I turn my back a queue will rapidly form with me at the end of it. Plus I'm starving...I'm not going anywhere til I've eaten.


Of course we are the first people in the restaurant and there are still a few empty tables when we leave an hour or so later. Maybe I need to learn how to relax...but that could mean missing out on a table somewhere so it's never going to happen. Ever!



We start things off with a Bloodwood Mocktail ($8.00) and let the barman concoct his favourite mocktail for us. We end up with a refreshing blend of apple and lime juice, fresh limes and a splash of ginger beer.


After falling in love with the Polenta Chips at Jamie's Italian I could not go past Bloodwood's offering - Polenta Chips with Gorgonzola Sauce ($9.00).  Pretty darn good - the chips have a super crunchy outer shell with soft fluffy innards. The Gorgonzola sauce is wickedly rich...a moment on the lips and all that business.


Next up is a beautifully fresh and flavoursome Kingfish and Ocean Trout Ceviche ($16.00) which is definitely the highlight of the brunch for me. The plump Kingfish and Ocean Trout pieces were molded together in a perfectly delicious oval of Ceviche. The dish was served with a side of crunchy crackers and a smooth avacado dip, both of which added a textural element to the soft Ceviche.


And last but not least Spanner Crab with Green Asparagus ($21.00). On first viewing the Spanner Crab looks like scrambled eggs, but one mouthful sets that misconception straight.


I could've easily eaten one (or two) more dishes but the others had committed the fatal error of eating breakfast before brunch - d'oh (though so had I but I've had more practice in competitive eating/food blogging outings so I was in for the long haul).

Bloodwood is at 416 King Street, Newtown.  Phone them on (02) 9557 7699.

Bloodwood on Urbanspoon

17 comments:

  1. oh i love the look at the polenta chips and the ceviche! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there a long time ago, but it was dark and I had my old compact camera. Food was good (although I could have had more sauce with my polenta chips!) but photos were not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to make my way here, you've inspired me to get there soon for the polenta chips especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The polenta chips is one of the reasons I miss working in Newtown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the new miss piggy background! and the polenta chips looks like fish fingers to me lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The interior looks cool & and the mocktail looks so refreshing for a hot day...once again YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha...I first thought the crab was scrambled eggs too! Though now that I now it's crab, it looks a lot more delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow the food looks great, bumma for the big breakie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgonzola sauce ! I think i might just go there for the chips ;). Food looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when we went, I felt really sorry for the people that looked so hungry as they were waiting for a table! I think you can book for tables of 8 or more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had to do a double look at the crab too! the cerviche looks incredible

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a very intriguing ceviche! I've been there a couple of times and am overdue for another visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! I will definitely order the polenta chips. FAVOURITE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting. Just catching up on blog posts over the silly season. Was on my short list for a birthday booking but chose elsewhere. Didn't know they didn't take bookings. I find if I can't make a booking I tend to not go. I must be getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good to see the polenta chips still on the menu! I still dream about those things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily