Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Pie Tin, Newtown

Ever the good friend Miss Chicken alerts me to a new pie shop that has opened up in Newtown.

We decide to make a quick lunchtime dash down to The Pie Tin to check out what's on offer. We justify that it's OK to eat big, rich, hearty pies for lunch seeing as we're power walking to and from the cafe during our lunch break.  Right?


The Pie Tin has been opened up on Brown Street for about 6 weeks now, and occupies the former site of Pretty Dog clothing shop.  The place already seems to be very popular with a constant stream of hungry pie-lovers popping in for lunch during our visit.


The cafe has a wide selection of artisans pies and sausage rolls, as well as a selection of sweeties for those who still have room after their hearty pie.  All of the goodies are made on the premises.  The interior has a rustic feel to it, with exposed brick wall and interesting bric-a-brac dotted around.


I have a weak spot for chicken pies, and the Chicken and Leek Pie (5.80) takes my fancy. The pie crust is very thick, and when I break through the top I find a pie brimming with tender chicken pieces in a white wine sauce and dotted with whole peppercorns.  The pie is incredibly filling and is a satisfying meal in itself.


That said, my arteries sing with joy at the promise of Chips with Cheese Sauce ($5.00).  Gimmee gimmee gimmee! I wasn't going walk ALL THE WAY to Newtown and miss out on these delicious crispy chips drenched in a gooey, cheesy sauce.  Blissful.


Miss Chicken to decides to go for the pie with two sides option ($10.00).  Her pie of choice is the delectable South Style Slow Roasted Pork with Apple BBQ Sauce.


The innards of this pie are just beautiful. The shredded pork is tender, smokey and has a lovely sweet flavour from the Apple BBQ Sauce. I have serious pie envy.  The sides of mushy peas and mashed kumura are also lovely - both are smooth, soft and flavoursome.



The Pie Tin is at 1 Brown Street, Newtown.  You'll find it just behind Clem's Chicken Shop.

The Pie Tin on Urbanspoon

21 comments:

  1. the chips with cheese sauce has sold me! I am so there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM YUM YUM! We gotta all go back to try some more pies hey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! The name got me in before I even started to read about the food, looks very tasty especially with cooler weather on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh my god. This is my kind of place!! My arteries are super duper excited for the cheesy fries

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a good pie but omg those chips with the cheese sauce look freakin awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg the chips and cheese sauce looks sooooo delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah this makes me think of the US series Pushing Daisies! The chips with cheese sauce look so bad but good, and yum, definitely going to try the pulled pork pie when I get here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chicken and leek pie too! I make a really yummy one :)
    My favourite pie shop is in collaroy, have you tried it?.......very expensive but you wont be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the rustic look of this place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like a good pie, and heading into the warmer months, even better! These do look good, with the cheese fries being a guilty pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha love the "Big Berta" - so fun! Both pies look awesome but I have to say I have a bit of a thing for slow roasted pork. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How the hell I missed this place? I'll schedule a visit asap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheese sauce is pretty different! I <3 a good pie...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember walking past this the other day! Looks so good, I must try :) YUMMY….

    ReplyDelete
  15. cheese sauce, oh no i couldn't. wow. thats insane. the pastry is the single most important part of a pie for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. omgggg chips with cheese sauce!!! that must be so orgasmic! need to go asap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh yum, I love the insides of the Slow Roasted Pork pie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH. MY. LORD! I think I just found Mr J's food heaven. He is so into pies it's not funny. Thanks so much for this post - we will definitely try this on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Everyone - thanks for all of your comments. We are a pack of pie lovers, aren't we? That said, my next trip to Pie Tin will see me order a double serve of chips with cheese sauce, no pie! Mwah, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't had a pie for ages, but everytime I smell them in the office it makes me hungry! I wish there was a great pie place like that near me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. HOT CHIPS MADE TO ORDER — how can i refuse :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily